In January of 2020, Units are to begin development of the next iteration of their strategic plans, intended to lead the Units into the year 2025. This process is outlined in a memo from Executive Vice President and Provost Nicholas Jones. Additionally, each budget Unit has completed their Unit-level reflection reports, which are a starting point for Unit plan iteration and development.
These draft Unit plans will be due on July 31st, 2020, and will be entered into the new strategic planning system by the Office of Planning, Assessment, and Institutional Research during August of 2020. A feedback process will then occur on the Unit plans from various committees involved in the strategic planning process related to Unit plan linkages to the institutional plan. This feedback will be distributed back to the Units in early Fall semester, 2020.
- To assist with continued planning efforts, OPAIR offers ADAPT: A Quick Guide for Strategic Planning During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you need assistance.
Final Unit plans will be due December 21st, 2020.
Since March 2019, we have been rigorously assessing institutional plan implementation via the Unit level strategic plans, strategic plan seed grant progress, strategic plan executive committee reports, and signature initiative data to date. To that end, we have produced several documents summarizing the assessment of the institutional plan, namely:
- The institutional strategic plan assessment. This document examines the results of our institutional plan (2016-2020) to date and attempts to summarize opportunities for development in the institutional plan moving forward.
- The revised institutional strategic plan. This document uses the data from the assessment and provides a data-informed set of changes to guide the extension of the strategic plan for the institution moving forward to 2025.
Additionally, there are resources available to assist Units with their plans, outlined below (you must have a Penn State email address to access these resources). We welcome feedback on these resources regarding their utility in the development of Unit plans. To provide feedback, please email email@example.com
- A planning resource guide, which provides guidance on how to develop a strategic plan for your Unit.
- A resource for remote strategic plan development for Unit planning.
- A template outlining the format for Unit level strategic plans.
- A self-review form for a final check of your draft Unit plan.
Each document contains a log of any changes made with a date stamp. The most up-do-date documents will be posted above, and those with Penn State email addresses should be able to access the resources.
Assistance with developing these processes and resources was provided by the Unit Planning Advisory Group, a task force comprised of members from a cross section of the following Administrative Units.
Some additional resources that can help units in mapping their plan to the university strategic plan foundations:
- Advancing Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity – Penn State Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, additional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Resources
- Ensuring a Sustainable Future – Sustainability Planning Guidebook
- Enhancing Global Engagement – Global Engagement User Guide
Feedback and questions can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Office of Planning, Assessment, and Institutional Research at (814) 863-8721.
Administrative Unit Plans 2014-2020
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Educational Equity
- Finance and Business
- Global Programs
- Information Technology Services
- Outreach and Online Education
- Strategic Communications
- Student Affairs
- Undergraduate Education
- University Libraries
- Penn State Abington
- Penn State Altoona
- Penn State Beaver
- Penn State Behrend
- Penn State Berks
- Penn State Brandywine
- Penn State DuBois
- Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus
- Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
- Penn State Harrisburg
- Penn State Hazleton
- Penn State Lehigh Valley
- Penn State Mont Alto
- Penn State New Kensington
- Penn State Schuylkill
- Penn State Scranton
- Penn State Shenango
- Penn State Wilkes-Barre
- Penn State York
- College of Agricultural Sciences
- College of Arts and Architecture
- Smeal College of Business
- Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications
- College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- The Graduate School
- College of Health and Human Development
- College of Information Sciences and Technology
- School of International Affairs
- Dickinson Law (Carlisle)
- Penn State Law (University Park)
- College of the Liberal Arts
- College of Medicine
- College of Nursing
- Schreyer Honors College
- Eberly College of Science